[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 12:06:28 -0800
Doug Smith wrote:
> On Wed February 7 2007 12:42 am, Moose wrote:
>

>> I believe JPEG, TIFF,  PSD, and possibly DNG, will be readable for at
>> least decades. I suspect the media on which they are written pose a
>> greater danger.
>>

> I think you are correct on both accounts. Look how long the 3.5" floppy discs
> hung around.
I've still got a bunch of 5 1/4 floppies and one computer that should
read them if it still boots up - and I can remember how do operate it.
;-) And in the basement is a Morrow/Zenith Pivot lunchbox CP/M machine.
It uses 8" floppies, I think, or is my mind playing tricks on me? Nah,
probably 5 1/4. It also booted last time I tried it years ago, but I
didn't know how to make it do anything. Same thing with the Apple II+
and Heathkit XT clone. I gotta clean up the basement or turn it into a
museum. :-)

Do you know how floppies originated? IBM was making controllers for its
SNA remote distributed processing systems and need a way to
distribute/boot/update the firmware. They invented a magnetic portable
medium for that use, which was the first 8" floppy. I remember when my
brother was adapting 8" floppies as mass storage devices for TRS-80s.

Moose