[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:05:53 -0800 (PST)
ScottGee1 wrote:
> Now AG comes along and seems to be telling us that film *can* be
> digitized and retain that je ne sais quois!

One argument I am NOT making here is whether DDC is superior to DC or
not.  What I have found is the compatibility of workflow and output
between DCC and DC.  I love using DC for event work and the bulk of
my "hired" work.  However, there are times when my lowly E-1 isn't
quite up to task or I'd like to have another camera option for
wide-angle or time-exposure use.

The current argument is not over whether DC is as good as film, but
is film as good as DC?  I am maintaining that for the 90% rule, it
is.  There definitely are workflow and costing issues to consider,
though.

> Add to that all the recent discussions about the challenges and
> discipline required to keep digital files stable and accessible and

My DCC process still doesn't address that issue.  Granted, the
transitionary media is still available, but like any box of old negs,
not really usable unless reprinted or scanned.

> That means that the manufacturers will have little incentive to
> create drivers for Windoze 2022 and OS Godzilla which will
> effectively make the hardware obsolete and force one to maintain
> (a) legacy system(s).

I was in that position with the old Coolscan-II.  However, that
didn't bother me too much because the new scanner was such a mammoth
improvement over the old one.

> And what of file formats?  Those are likely to be improve over the
> years which could leave current ones unsupported and unopenable by
> the next generation.

Possible, but at this point highly unlikely.  I think that JPEG has
become as permanent as the English Language.  Eventually, we all will
be speaking some other language once the next empire rises.  Probably
during that world war, asteroid impact or alien invasion, all
computers will be wiped out causing a total loss of all digital data.
 I can only hope that there will be some form of Rosetta Stone for
future civilizations to be able to decode whatever makes it through
the rubble.

> So continue to preach the gospel of DDC, Brother AG.  I'm certainly
> listening.

Will do.  It's my new photographic mission in life to single-handedly
bring film back from the brink.  At least for a few months till I
flitter another direction.

AG

http://new.mail.yahoo.com