[OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC

Subject: [OM] Re: Delayed Digital Capture - DDC
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:38:15 -0500
On Wed February 7 2007 12:42 am, Moose wrote:

> I believe JPEG, TIFF,  PSD, and possibly DNG, will be readable for at
> least decades. I suspect the media on which they are written pose a
> greater danger.

I think you are correct on both accounts. Look how long the 3.5" floppy discs
hung around. For another microsoft isn't the only game in town. Linux and the
other Unixes seem to beholding in there fairly well. I strongly suspect that
someone will be able take the source code for current software and recompile
it for what ever system is around in the future.

As time goes by I expect to see more drives, drivers, programs and companies
that are aimed at recovering damaged media relatively cheaply. A scratched CD
isn't any different conceptually from a scratched piece of film as long as
you have the ability recover the undamaged information and then fill in(make
up i.e. clone) the missing parts.

As for different formats I wonder in how many small to medium size cities I
could get a piece of 110 or aps film or a photo disc printed.