[OM] Re: What the $%#$%# is this?

Subject: [OM] Re: What the $%#$%# is this?
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:41:33 -0600
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 2/6/2007 3:38:02 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> If you  really want the item then you should always bid the maximum you
> are  willing to pay and then the snipe doesn't matter.
>

> That is true regardless of your use of a snipe bid or not.  If you  snipe,
> which I do on a regular basis, you eliminate your bid from precipitating  the
> run up of the bidding, either by you or by others.  It takes the  passion out
> of
> the bid equation and turns it into a business decision, which is  (IMHO)
> where it should be.

I agree.  If I put my max bid in the first day, then other bidders can
keep "testing the water" by running the bid up in increments to see how
I sit.  Some guy may get caught up in the excitement of the hunt and
decide to pay more than he was originally willing to just because he's
been playing the game for a week now and wants to see me lose, regardless.

If I don't show my hand until the last second, then he doesn't have time
to react and go into "I don't care what I have to spend, YOU'RE NOT
GETTING THIS!!!!!" mode.

Sniping doesn't always mean you win.  If another guy has already put in
a higher bid than mine, I still lose.  But since I started sniping years
ago, my win percentage has gone waayyyyy up.