[OM] Re: LightRoom Announcement

Subject: [OM] Re: LightRoom Announcement
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:23:49 -0600
On 1/30/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -What Lightroom does is to save the editing that you do as instructions
> in a tiny file, so that whenever you again view the original, untouched,
> RAW file, it looks the same as when you last left it and you may
> conveniently output it in that form in another file format. Or you may
> cancel the past processing and go back to square one. Again, this is
> nothing special and unique. RSE and ACRS (the RAW processor for PS) also
> work this way, saving your changes in a small file, as well as being
> able to output other formats and/or send the image on to PS or another
> editor for further work.  I suspect other RAW processors work the same.

I don't even know how I could possibly save my edits over the original
RAW file in the first place, so I actually find this little RSE (and
Silkypix too) file otiose and an annoyance, as it generates folders
all over my HD.  Bah humbug.

Viewer is reasonable insofar as it creates either a TIF or JPG when it
processes.  I suppose there must be a setting that allows you to
destroy your original RAW file, but I haven't found it. (I ain't
looking either.)   I wish it offered to save exif data with 16-bit
files.  Is that against the laws of physics or something?

Joel W.