[OM] Re: Comment on film scanner performance

Subject: [OM] Re: Comment on film scanner performance
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:54:39 +0000
I have a feeling, James, that you had a duff Minolta 5400.  The only
snags that I have had have been self-induced, e.g. wrong settings in
Vuescan or failing to move the AF spot to somewhere with a decent
line and contrast.  I am not a very discerning individual (with scans
at least ;-)) but I have never seen noise (from your previous post)
or flare in my scans.  I have found grain, certainly, but noise or
flare?  It is possible that you and I use different films and suffer
from different scanning problems as a result ...

I remain happy that I have the Mk I 5400, even though the writeups
and characteristics of the Mk II make it attractive.  I am sure that
N*kon would make me quite happy (:-)), but I will splash out on
another DSLR rather than worry about it greatly.

Chris
~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.