[OM] Re: Film Scanners going the way of the Dodo? [coming over from - Mo

Subject: [OM] Re: Film Scanners going the way of the Dodo? [coming over from - Mom so long ago -]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:06:15 -0500

I prefer the roll-over image because it's a little less grainy although
it doesn't have quite as much contrast.  As a practical matter there's
almost nothing to choose between them.  Both could benefit by a little
bit of post processing which would likely make them indistinguishable
from one another.

I assume you're having to use a short extension tube on the 5D so that
the bellows can clear the pentaprism hump in front.  I haven't tried it
yet but thought that additional extension might be problematic in making
a 1:1 image using the 50/3.5 with bellows and slide duplicator... might
not be possible to get *down* to 1:1.  I can see where your 80/4 with
its longer focal length would be immune from the over-magnification
problem if it exists.  I briefly considered trying the Vivitar 90/2.5
macro but I think there's a size/clearance problem somewhere but I can't
remember what it is.  Ah, so much experimenting to do after the move.

Chuck Norcutt