[OM] Re: Unsung attribute

Subject: [OM] Re: Unsung attribute
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:57:45 -0700
My little cryptic comment probably was a little insensitive but I'm
sometimes surprised at the things some people want documented with
photographs. If you are a professional photographer or a friend that is
requested to do this kind of work you have to respect the wishes of the
family requesting the activity. It can get really awkward if one family
wants the photography and other family members do not. The photographer
should never be the center of attention but needs to stay in the background
and effectively be invisible.

I live in an area where the predominate religion is Mormon and their
funerals are long and tend to be morbid and sometimes very unpleasant,
especially if the deceased has not been a "good" church member. This has
soured me on funerals in general.

My wife died about 19 months ago and we had a very nice upbeat memorial
service for her. She had been mostly paralyzed (c6/c7 quad) for almost 40
years. She had many friends and there were almost 600 people at her service.
All the speakers talked about pleasant and funny things that had happened
over the years and it was an inspiring experience. The music was by her
sister-in-law who is a professional singer and it was beautiful. The prayer
was given by her brother rather than have a professional preacher drone on
and on. I didn't realize it but the funeral home makes a recording of all
the services and presents a copies on CD to the family afterward. I listened
to it once but is was difficult as I was still very emotional. The recording
was nice though for family members that could not be at the service. I
personally would not want to remember the sad faces of tearful people.

/jmac