[OM] Re: OM-1n meter problem (Was: Mercury cells and battery adapter art

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1n meter problem (Was: Mercury cells and battery adapter article)
From: Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:08:52 -0600
Hi John,

No, I was testing with artificial light at night with the apertures set between
f1.8 and f5.6. I went through most speed settings. I had to set the film speed
to 800 ASA just to get the needle into the bracket. I just re-checked aiming at
a bright shade area through the Venetian blinds this morning and the meter is
still behaving pretty much as if the film speed had been set to 25 ASA or
actually less than I can dial in. It's quite consistent in that way so far. The
needle even moves around consistent with the center-weighted averaging when I
track a small, bright subject against a darker background. The meter responds
fine to DOF checking too, as it should.

With a 50/1.8 wide open at f1.8 and framing that gently lit outdoor scene, I
get 'correct' exposure at 1/30 s -- with the film speed set at 800 ASA (!). Of
course, looking through a 40/2 at f2, Bill's OM-10 sets itself for 1/1000s at
the 800 ASA setting and one of my good OM-1s tracks that whatever lens I
attach. I've also framed the scene while rotating the film speed setting dial
and the needle moves quite consistently with it 1/3 stop at a time (I
replicated this on another OM-1n and it behaves exactly the same). The needle
does plummet and rise again in the 'dead' zone between 25 and 1600 ASA, as it
does in the good OM-1.

(That OM-1n has a 1-10 screen in but I understand it would not affect metering.)

- Phil

On 08:18, John Hermanson wrote:

>6 stops?  Is this a case of the meter centering at B and f 1.8?

==