[OM] Re: More Lightroom

Subject: [OM] Re: More Lightroom
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:33:33 -0800

On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Listar wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:56:34 -0800
> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [OM] More Lightroom
>
> There is an interview here with the founder of the Lightroom project:
>
> http://since1968.com/article/187/
>
> It sort of confirms what I have felt, that these new apps are
> primarily designed for photographers who bring in a couple thousand
> images from a shoot and want to process and sift through them with as
> little expenditure of time and attention as possible.

That is absolutely correct. That was it's design brief. It was not,
nor ever intended to
be, a replacement or analog for Photoshop. Photoshop has a suite of
photographically
relevent tools, but it also has many tools intended for graphic
artists, production
folks (e.g. printers, CMYK separations, etc.)  and illustrators.
Lightroom was intended to meet about 80% of editing needs of
photographers very quickly and in a streamlined way.
Personally, I do have to screen, crop and edit through potentially
thousands of images,
and now that Lightroom is available, I can shoot in RAW and still get
my work done.
At my last race of the year, I was able to scan the day's shoot very
quickly, make the
appropriate edits and crops, and deliver a CD with the edited images
to my PR manager
the same day. Doing that in Photoshop would have been impossible.