[OM] Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser

Subject: [OM] Re: Lose, Loose, Looser, Loser
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:07:17 -0800
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/my-bad.html

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jeff Keller
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 7:59 AM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

Keep in mind that the US is a country composed of  "foreigners". Our
culture and language are heavily influenced by people whose families
come from all over the world. The stereotypical "american" is a minority
in California. Depending upon where you're from the stereotype may be
different from someone elses, but they are all minorities at this point.

I first heard "my bad from Vietnamese decendents. The phrase seemed to
be most widely used by asians but I have no idea where it originated.

-jeff

On 1/17/07, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm afraid that that's a US colloquialism, Jon.  I first heard it from

> a UASF pilot who worked for me in Turkey in 2000.  It sounds OK with
> occasional use, but when it becomes part of general currency the
> novelty wears off pretty quickly.
>
> Chris
> On 17 Jan 2007, at 18:51, Jon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > Now that context is the same as the "hip new phrase" that the
> > youngsters (and not so young) seem to be fond of .... "my bad"
> > meaning "my mistake".  Grumble. Illiterate fools.  Harumph.  <slopes

> > off to be grumpy elsewhere>
> >
> > Jon

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx