[OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation of the e-

Subject: [OM] Re: Baby steps up the printer food chain in anticipation of the e-2 and print sales.
From: "Marc Lawrence" <MLawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:25:57 +1100
> Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Hope I am not tempting the fates, but I have had a 2200 for
> at least a couple of years and I print very sporadically.
> Sometime months have gone by and southern California has a
> very dry climate, the very worst abuse for this type of
> printer. The most I have ever had to do  is to do a head
> cleaning which takes care of a minor clog. I do  wonder
> about the reports of clogs. Is it that people just don't think
> that a head should ever clog and that they should not have
> to run a cleaning cycle or are they having more serious
> problems?

I don't know. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 915, and it pretty
much needs a head-clean every time I turn it on (probably
amounts to only once a month). Usually it requires 2, 3 or more
(I think 6 was the most). Sometimes it requires them after
printing a couple of things. I guess, considering the volume
of ink it can use, it can get a tad annoying to use so much
of your ink on head-cleaning, when the ink cartridges never
feel cheap to buy. I expect to run the head cleaning, but I
must admit I do not expect to run it so often, and to watch
the ink reservoirs drop so on the screen display while doing
it. Perhaps it's just expectations versus reality. Of course,
there's always the thing about not relying on the on-screen
display of ink-remaining - I'm sure I've pushed it *well* past
"empty" before by ignoring the warnings. (I'll have to check
this).

I don't mention this as a criticism - just my experience. I
have no idea of what "normal" is, and, while it's annoying
having to do multiple head-cleans (note that my computer
room is, stupidly, the *most* dusty in the house, compounded
by cat hair and kitty-litter dust), my singular perspective
doesn't have me worried too much about it (besides, I might
be getting my hands on an A3 printer from work).

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz