[OM] Re: Asking permission

Subject: [OM] Re: Asking permission
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:12:35 -0700
Ali,

That's how I feel about northeast Indiana, where I lived until I moved to
new mexico back in June.  A lot of farmland there is disappearing to make
way for housing additions and shopping centers. I spent more than a decade
photographing these disappearing and forgotten places.

I always knocked on the door and asked permission and only a couple people
in all those years said no.  Most were very nice and wanted to know what I
was photographing for. I told them I was an artist who was born in Fort
Wayne and still lived there and that I'd studied art at Indiana University.
Fort Wayne is the main city of northeast Indiana. A lot of rural people in
Indiana are suspicious of outsiders, but when they found out I was born in
Indiana and still lived there, I was no longer an outsider, but a fellow
Hoosier and many of the old farmers would come out and show me interesting
things to photograph on their land.  I offered everyone a set of prints, and
most took them and were very appreciative of them.  I never framed any, too
expensive for me, but I always made archival exhibition quality prints that
I signed. If I ever become very famous it will be because so many people
were so helpful to me when I was young (I'm only 31) and they deserve a
print that will be worth something if my work ever becomes valuable.

Chris Crawford
Santa Fe, NM

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com