[OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging

Subject: [OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:14:32 -0600
Doug Smith wrote:

> On Tue January 2 2007 7:55 am, Wayne Culberson wrote:
>
>> ... However, the new ones are worse, as
>> anything outside of almost perfectly straight on is blurry. The optical
>> store I bought them from is arguing that that is normal, as they are
>> aspherical lenses, whereas my older ones are spherical. Their argument is
>> that aspherical lenses are better when you look perfectly straight on, and
>> can be made thinner and lighter, but the trade-off is that when you cast
>> your eyes to the side without turning your head, they are more blurry. Is
>> that true? So do aspherical camera lenses give pics only sharp in the
>> center? I'm not buying it yet and am arguing for replacement lenses. They
>> are arguing that I have to learn to always turn my head, rather than my
>> eyes. Well, I'm too old to turn my head far enough to do a shoulder check,
>> for instance.

That phenomenon (straight-on vision being sharper) never was
explained to me, either. I just figured it out on my own. By the
time I chose to use contacts, I was so used to moving my head to see
things sharply that I lost one of the main benefits of contacts.

> I'll bet they never had a conversation with you about the tradeoffs involved
> between lighter and thinner and and the ability to see with the glasses
> except straight down the middle. My frustration with experts such as these is
> that they presume to make these decisions without any knowledge about how one
> lives their life. About 10 years ago an  optometrist   made a pair of glasses
> out of polycarbonate which was supposed to be the greatest thing in the
> world. It wasn't  The chromatic aberration was so bad that a neon green label
> would have a wide yellow band along one edge. I finally ate the cost and went
> somewhere else.

Been there, done that, too. Actually, I lived with it for the
duration of that pair of glasses. But, for the next pair, I did my
research. There are a few companies which make lens blanks and those
blanks have different optical qualities. My research indicated that
Seiko's high-index lenses were among the best.

My last two pairs have used Seiko lenses and, given the limitations
of glasses with my prescription, they're the best I have ever owned.
No more comet tails when I look at lights at night. No more 3D
effect to certain color combinations (like bright red on blue). No
huge yellow bands along green labels.

I had to search a little to find an optician who could order the
Seikos (hint: it wasn't the fast cheap places), but it was worth it.

Steve