[OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging

Subject: [OM] Re: OT On hazards of aging
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:35:15 -0800
Brian Swale wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Possibly some of you can relate to this  ... ...
>
> If you think you are too young - be warned.

I'm only 7% behind you........
> <snip sad story of lost glasses>
>
> Having turned the place inside out ( and made it tidier in the process) I am
> no
> closer to finding them and face the unwelcome prospect of getting new ones.
> I've checked all the horizontal surfaces and some that are not, as well as
> containers such as bags and pockets.

Have you tried places in the car where dropped glasses, ( missed tht
bag, for example) can hide? I'd also be checking the path from car to
house and any adjacent shrubbery. Such a search on my part has more than
once rescued someone(s) near and dear to me from panic.

> Simple, you say, since I have fairly recent tests to use? No.
>
> <snip lament about current fashions in eyewear.
I had a similar problem, but once they understood that I wasn't going to
do it their way, they found some suitable frames - on sale, no less -
probably because only a dork would buy them. :-)

> And I will have to drive using my normal walking specs which are OK up to
> 30 yards, but I do not feel comfortable driving with them. Images over 30
> yards are not quite as sharp as I'd like while driving.

I know you have cost concerns. And I know you are technically
conservative, buy hey, you have a DLSR now. I gave up the distance,
distance sun, bifocal and computer glasses in favor of one pair of high
end progressives. With quite different correction in each eye, I am not
comfortable without correction. Now with one pair of glasses, including
tinting that turns dark out in the sun, I wear them all the time except
when sleeping. So I always know where they are, on the bedside table or
on my face.

It's been a great solution for me. First pair lasted about 6 years
before I needed a correction change, and I used perfectly good old
frames for them, so they cost me less than $50 per year. I did buy new
frames for the new ones, so the oldies could be emergency backup.
> No, I do not want contact lenses (no eye protection), and I long ago decided,
> having taken expert advice, that spectacles would give me better vision than
> laser surgery.

Even if it's suitable for your eyes, laser surgery leaves you with fixed
focus lenses, just like we both have now anyway. It doesn't restore the
flexible lenses of youth that can adjust their focus. So one has the
choice of having both focused at infinity, in which reading glasses are
required, or going with monovision, where the dominant eye is focused at
infinity and the other closer in.

I used monovision with contacts for several years. It didn't drive me
crazy, as it does some folks, but after some time, I guess my lenses got
even more inflexible, and I found I had a sort of out slightly of focus
zone between the two eyes that I didn't like. The progressives don't
have that problem.

Just don't but cheap progressives - ICK! I got a pair through a mistake
when I ordered bifocals once. I thought I was going to go mad wearing them.

> A problem shared is a problem eased. Now I feel better. :-) How about you?

So often true.

Moose