[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:16:24 -0800
James N. McBride wrote:

> Sometimes it is impossible to account for customers preferences or tastes.
> There are things one can learn about a specific market to help sales though.
> I used to sell prints through a local gift shop and the best sellers here
> were pictures of the Tetons. I had some images taken up high in the
> mountains that I really liked but they sold poorly. Others, mostly taken
> from the valley floor, sold much better but seemed very ordinary to me. I
> found out that people prefer to buy pictures that reflect scenes they had
> actually seen from the valley. They wanted to take home something to recall
> their memories.

That makes perfect sense to me. In effect, they are using you and your
equipment to take the shot they aren't capable of taking. Instead of a
bunch of crappy snaps, they get ian image that does justice to the
experience of being there.

I know I take pics simply as things to remind me of where I've been,
even if they aren't even remotely original or have any particular
artistic quality.

Moose