[OM] Re: Monitor

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 11:46:01 -0500
Ah! That brings this old crypto-fascist to photo-related questions
(heaven forfend!).  So when I got the Mac Pro, I also got a 23" Apple
Cinema, which is a wonderful monitor, and which I have managed to
calibrate to show me more or less what I'm going to get out of my
printer. (And this with a Huey, to boot.) The big difference, though,
is that regardless of what I do, photos on this thing look like
backlit transparencies on a light box. I'm not complaining, mind you,
but prints from the Epson 4800 do not look good when backlit on a
light box. <g>

The other, and more important issue, is screen resolution. The 23"
Apple has a native resolution of, like 19 Billion by 11 Billion,
which means when I kick up the mail program, the damned print is so
tiny I can hardly read it. I've read and been told that LCDs must be
left at their native resolution. I've messed with the resolution on
this screen, and I'm inclined to agree with what I've read and been
told. So I'm going to guess that there might be a problem authoring
web pages as well, assuming everyone doesn't have a comparable
monitor to view the pages on.

There's a fix with Safari and Office, which allow me to enlarge the
type with no loss of clarity. In Mail, however, I have to use the
disabilities feature to zoom in, which makes everything right fuzzy.
I don't like it. <g>

So I'm thinking that despite being able to land small aircraft on my
Cinema Display, I may need to procure a second, inexpensive LCD to do
text editing and web authoring. Something with a resolution of 1024
by 728, which is what my antique 19" Lacie CRT is set for.

Am I heading down the right track, or is there some simple fix that
I'm not aware of because I'm such a Mac newbie?

Any guidance much appreciated!

--Bob

FWIW, this Mac Pro flat rocks Photoshop, even in Rosetta emulation
mode. I can't wait to see what native Intell CS3 will do.