[OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Newby Intro + Zuiko prime lens question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:10:21 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> <snip lots of stuff I agree with>
>
> In the end, unless you're shooting from a tripod and using the OM-2000
> with self-timer and aperture pre-fire you can't duplicate Gary's mimimal
> vibration results and the differences between all those high serial
> number multi-coated lenses probably totally evaporates.  The older
> single coated version probably isn't as sharp as the newer ones but had
> it been tested in the same way it would likely show much better than it
> does.  And, as AG will attest, those old silvernoses have
> characteristics all their own having nothing to do with sharpness.

It seems to me that the primary advantage of the later versions, MC and
post MC, is their even performance over their aperture range. Unlike so
many lenses, one may safely choose aperture with regard only for the
trade-offs between DOF and shutter speed, without additional concern
about sharpness.

Moose