[OM] Re: HU Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: HU Back up and storage
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:01:43 -0800
jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What is it that you don't understand about "backup"?  I'm just kidding you
> but - I travel with a laptop with plenty of available storage but I sure want
> to backup the images stored on it until I get home and transfer them to the
> desktop machine.  So, every night, I copy the day's shots to CDs.  On the
> Southwest trip this past spring I filled 14-15 CDs.
Thanks for answering for me, although my first sentence might might have
been gentler.  :-) I do much the same thing, except I use DVDs. The CD
shuffle is less appealing, and I'm only counting on them to be back-up
to a HD for a few weeks, at most, so long term reliability doesn't matter.
> Several USB flash drives might be more convienient.

I think I mostly pulled the trigger because 4 gb for $15 from a major
retailer and name brand with warranty  is so amazing. I do like the idea
of a separate, non-volatile backup that I can easily carry on my person
for the best shots. Everything on the HD and DVDs and selected stuff on
the thumb drive. You'd think my pics were worth something, no? :-)
> Or, are you suggesting that one should buy extra media cards for the camera
> instead and not erase those until the end of the trip and just use the laptop
> for backup, not primary storage?

Nice idea, but still way too expensive for a 3-4 week trip to scenic
places. I ran up over 4 gb in three days a few months ago; one day was
2.5 gb. That's after weeding out the obvious junk in the evenings on the
notebook.

Moose