[OM] Re: [lens] Re: HU Back up and storage

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: HU Back up and storage
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:41:43 -0400
There are small batteried standalone media storage "books" with a hard disk and
card slots, eg,
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1159267429.html

Merry Christmas, tOM

On Saturday, December 16, 2006 at 12:12,
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote

> You're right.  I wasn't thinking.  Yes, the images should be backed up
> on additional media.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >>Can you expound on how you intend to use the 4gb USB flash drive as
> >>backup storage in the field?  I don't know how you'd use it.  AFAIK you
> >>can't download directly to it from the camera.  You'd need a laptop as
> >>an intermediary.  But if you have the laptop I don't see the utility of
> >>an additional small amount of storage.  What am I missing?  Is your
> >>laptop drive small and nearly full?
> >
> > Hi Chuck,
> >
> > What is it that you don't understand about "backup"?  I'm just kidding you
> > but - I travel with a laptop with plenty of available storage but I sure
> > want to backup the images stored on it until I get home and transfer them
> > to the desktop machine.  So, every night, I copy the day's shots to CDs.
> > On the Southwest trip this past spring I filled 14-15 CDs.  Several USB
> > flash drives might be more convienient.
> >
> > Or, are you suggesting that one should buy extra media cards for the camera
> > instead and not erase those until the end of the trip and just use the
> > laptop for backup, not primary storage?
> >
> > Later,
> > Johnny

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.41235 W75.71345     +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle