[OM] Re: [OT] The cholesterol myth, was: Re: List etiquette for replies

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The cholesterol myth, was: Re: List etiquette for replies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:19:41 -0500
Maybe now I'll start a related OT thread.  Anybody here take a beta
blocker for blood pressure or heart rate control?  Anyone taking a beta
blocker also have symptoms of psoriasis, especially inverse psoriasis?
Did the psoriasis start after you started taking the beta blocker?

Three years ago I was put on a large dose of atenolol (100mg) a beta
blocker.  This was not to control my blood pressure (which is actually a
bit below normal) but to control my excessive heart rate (possibly from
heart nerve damage during bypass surgery).  3 months later I was
diagnosed by my friendly dermatologist as having inverse psoriasis.
(gets ya mostly where the sun don't shine).  After two years of putting
up with worsening itching, redness and soreness and spending large sums
on drugs to control it I finally went to my pharmacist and requested a
history of all my medications.  It was studying that list that made me
realize that the psoriasis diagnosis occured 3 months after I started
taking the atenolol and I knew that the symptoms had appeared at least a
month before that.

Off to the that wonderful thing called Google.  Guess what?  Beta
blockers are considered an antagonist to existing psoriasis.  Well,
that's what they'll admit to... "Myasthenia gravis or Psoriasis —
Beta-blockers may make these conditions worse"
<http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202087.html#SXX18>
but I know I didn't have any psoriasis before I started taking the drug.

As to the known side effects:  My cardiologist who prescribed the drug
didn't know this.  My internist who knew about the prescription didn't
know this.  My dermatologist who diagnosed the psoriasis and knows I'm a
cardiac patient didn't know this.  My druggist who filled the
prescription didn't know this.  Any guess as to why I attempt to do my
own diagnosis and prescribing when I think I can?

I stopped taking the drug (slowly for a beta blocker) and in about two
months all my sympotoms went away.  I started the drug again and in less
than two months all the symptoms were back.  Stopped again and they
slowly faded away again.  I did this three times to convince the docs
that the medication was the cause.  There are other strange dermatologic
symptoms too but I think I've finally got the dermatologist convinced
they go along with the "psoriasis" or whatever it is since they also
come and go with the drugs and exhibit a dose/response relationship.
The higher the dose the worse the problem.

Anyhow, watch what you put into your body.  It might not be good for you.

Chuck Norcutt