[OM] Re: Pentax K10D Production Review

Subject: [OM] Re: Pentax K10D Production Review
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:51:22 -0500
It's substantially less than $1000 WITH lens. I got mine a week ago for
$955 total, and I've just seen the body as low as $760 at one place, but
might not be usa warranty. The solidity and build quality easily
surpasses the canon xti and easily on par if not a bit better than the
d200 nikon at least due to the tightness of weatherproofing. The kit
lens focuses down to 1:3 life size, and is tack sharp compared to other
kit lenses. Even the manual focusing ring feels solid, not flimsy as
other brands do. The upcoming supersonic focusing motors in the new
Pentax lenses will solve most perceptions of slower focusing at this
point. So if you just don't easily have an extra $2500+ to casually buy
a 5D body, the image quality of what I'm coming up with doesn't have me
missing it.

MAJOR difference in philosophy compared to Olympus, is that not ONLY do
regular Pentax K mount lenses fit on the body without adapter, the
aperture stays wide open through all aperture settings until during the
exposure like on a regular SLR. None of the focus wide open, and manual
stop down, darkening the screen to then take the picture. The shake
reduction will let you key in the focal length. They WANT to keep
customers with older systems & lenses. The camera will also accommodate
6x7, and pentax screw mount lenses with easily available adapter.

In reading interviews with Hisashi Tatamiya, the designer & project
leader at Pentax - he seems very similar to Maitani and the way Olympus
used to be with the OM system, etc. in terms of design philosophy and
foward thinking compared to whatever Olympus actually is today. As much
as I won't sell my OM-4T, 2n, & 1n, Pentax at the moment seems to be the
new Olympus.

Larry