[OM] Re: Problem with the Shutter OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Problem with the Shutter OM1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:31:31 -0500
 From Michael Covington's Camera Repair Resource Guide.
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq>
Since your problem is with an OM-1 I have removed some points about
electronic cameras.

Chuck Norcutt

C3) My camera is jammed (I can neither release the shutter nor advance
        the film). What can I do?

         Several things:

        -Verify that you aren't at the end of a roll of film.

         -Press the rewind button and rewind the film into the cartridge.
          That way, you will at least be able to develop your film, and
          the camera _may_ unjam.

         With mechanical jams, the following techniques may work:

         -Slam the camera down moderately hard onto the palm of your
          hand.  (This is said to work particularly well for Pentaxes.)

         -With some cameras, you may be able to accomplish something by
          very gently pulling slightly on the mirror (to move it toward
          the "up" position) and/or by setting off the self-timer.

         -If all else fails, remove the bottom plate of the camera and
          see if you can trip the shutter or unlock the film advance.
          Don't force anything; you're looking for a latch that is just
          on the verge of tripping.