[OM] Re: Yesterday's adventure

Subject: [OM] Re: Yesterday's adventure
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:37:44 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of AG Schnozz.
<snip>
I asked questions about uprezzing the files prior to upload and
almost got my head bit off!  "NO!"  Their RIP and printers do
the uprezzing on-demand and also apply a touch of sharpening and
noise-reduction to the image.  If the image is upsized ahead of
time it is much more likely to get strange artifacting in the
prints.  Also, this way they can use a single file for all print
sizes in the order. <snip>
_____________________

OK, I'm showing my profound ignorance, but this particular aspect of AG's
report intrigues me. I know in Picture Window Pro I used to work the photo
in its native size, and let PWP's layout function handle uprezzing. I
thought it was just dandy. I have not been able to cause Photoshop to do the
same thing. Even when I set up a Picture Package with specific sizes, it
prints what I put in there at the size I put it in. I'm sure I must have
missed a critical instruction. As a result, I have copies of my images in
all the sizes I print them, which is a _huge_ load on my hard drive.

Using an Epson 4800, Is it possible to let the printer handle uprezzing? Or
do I need one of those fancy RIPs? And yes, I've used CS2 to work the file,
and then imported into PWP Layout for uprezzing, but that adds steps and
programs and such. I'd rather find a more efficient solution. True, I should
know this stuff by now, but apparently I don't. And if you can't show your
ignorant butt here, where can you show it? <wink>

--Bob