[OM] Re: What would you do?

Subject: [OM] Re: What would you do?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:28:28 -0600
>My dilemma comes from the two options below:
>
> 1. Buy the DZ 7-14mm for my E-1.
>
> 2. Buy a Sigma 12-24mm in N*kon mount and either a D80 or F*ji S3.

Dan,

You'll get too many answers, perhaps already, but......

I'm with the rest of the world, and think that Olympus and Kodak share
marketing and product planning departments. Just as the Kodak SLR's were
perhaps a bit too soon, the E1 was really too late. To think of Olympus as a
player in the pro market is perhaps romantic, but likely to result in an
early divorce. That takes care of number 1.

You'll find as many supporters of the Nikon and Fuji options as you wish. I
have a friend that owns a D200, which I believe has the same chip as the
D80, and his results are equal to any of the Canon owners I've seen,
including those from a Canon endorser. I have another friend who is the
staff photographer for the local art museum, and he currently uses an S2,
unless the S3 he has on order has arrived. He shoots mostly two and three
dimensional art work, along with the occasional grip 'n' grin, and he swears
by the Fuji, and I've seen the results of that, too, and I am impressed.

I'm not so keen on the lens, however. Sigma has had issues with quality
control, so even if you are easy on equipment, you may have to try several
to get on that will serve you well.

Of all the options shown, I'm with AG. Get out the old film body and WA, and
go to work.

Bill Pearce