[OM] Re: English grammar

Subject: [OM] Re: English grammar
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 02:57:50 -0800
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Le vendredi 24 Novembre 2006 10:44, keith_w a écrit :
>> James N. McBride wrote:
>>> I saw these figures several years ago. In the US it costs an average of
>>> $648,000 to incarcerate a person for life. An execution costs an average
>>> of $1,600,000.

>> Just to terminate the life of a prisoner? Why ever? That seems a bit
>> over the top, doesn't it?

> I bet it includes everything needed to keep the prisonner alive during the
> course of all the trials, up to the supreme court.

>> Hard to imagine how anyone could justify such costs!

> If you were on the wrong side of the bench, I bet you'd think it quite normal
> to be subjected to a complete due process.

Like almost everything else, we need definitions to understand where
that data came from.
"An execution" to me means once the prisoner is legally determined to be
a lost cause and hits death row, until the time he's actually put to death.

Which brings up another consideration ~ how long, on average, does each
condemned prisoner stay on death row? Some stay for a very long time,
filing appeals, one after the other, if they can afford them.

The sentence "An execution costs an average of $1,600,000" means what?
Cost to whom? I'd assume the "state." But maybe not.

Oh well, I'm belaboring the subject, so I'll leave it for now.

Too off topic!

keith whaley