[OM] Re: English grammar

Subject: [OM] Re: English grammar
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:44:16 -0800
James N. McBride wrote:
> I saw these figures several years ago. In the US it costs an average of
> $648,000 to incarcerate a person for life. An execution costs an average of
> $1,600,000.

Just to terminate the life of a prisoner? Why ever? That seems a bit
over the top, doesn't it?
Do you suppose it's to pay exorbitant cost-of-service fees charged by
all the "experts" who attend the prisoner before and during the execution?

What a day's wages for, say, any doctor or other scientific person who
is required to attend? Would even the absurd figure of $5000 for a day's
work be enough?
I just snatched that number out of thin air, but what's a day worth?

Even if it took *ten* professional people to attend to various aspects
of the execution, that's still only $50,000...
Which is 1/32nd of the cost quoted.

Hard to imagine how anyone could justify such costs!

> I will offer no opinions on this as it might offend some of the
> folks that already consider me an uncouth savage. /jmac

keith whaley