[OM] Re: Megapixels and printing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels and printing photos
From: "bill pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:13:15 -0600
Ali,

A great article that covers my world. I just sent two printed pieces to a
client for approval, one two color and one four. Everything is at 300ppi,
which gives a bit less than 150dpi.  I wouldn't consider anything less, and
were they duotones, it would be more. As once said, even Ray Charles can see
the difference.

I'm picky about digital prints, too, so I'm not too keen on up-resing, but I
recognize AG's position. I think that it depends on the subject matter.  AG
shoots people photos, and his clients are quite happy with things that have
been upresed quite a bit. I saw a 20x24 print at my lab that was made on a
durst printer from a 6mp camera file. At a reasonable viewing distance, on
first look, it looked perfectly fine. As you looked more carefully, even at
average viewing distance, there was a softer look about it, but we all have
different standards, and for the client hanging this in an office, it was
more than good.

When I shoot a complex shot in a refinery, I'm not so hot on upresing. I
want to see more detail, and that's why I still shoot mostly film.

Bill Pearce