[OM] Re: Megapixels and printing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels and printing photos
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:23:50 -0800 (PST)
> To find the largest photo quality image you can print,
> simply divide each dimension by 300:
> 3266 / 300 = 10.89 inches
> 2450 / 300 = 8.17 inches

This creates what is essentially a digital "contact print".
This is exactly like saying that the biggest print you can make
from a 35mm neg is 24mm x 36mm and the largest print you can
make from an 8x10 neg is 8x10.

In otherwords, I consider this to be utter hogwash.  Somebody
needs to define what "photo quality" is.  People who think that
you have to have image-file-pixel per output-pixel are living on
a planet other than Earth.  I dare say that you can't see 300dpi
anyway.

Proof?

Create a new empty image in your favorite editor and do a fill
pattern of alternating lines:  Black, white, black, white, red,
white, red, white, green, white...  Make sure each line is ONLY
one pixel wide.  Now print it.  Can you see the lines?  Now
start upsizing the file.  How much do you have to uprez before
you start seeing the lines in the print?

If you can uprez that file, say, 4x before you start to see the
lines, then that means that your imaging output chain can
support a 4x uprez of a normal image file.

Anything less than a technical test like this is purely
measurabating.  One-for-one pixel to output-pixel resolution is
completely and totally rediculous.

AG

Sponsored Link

Online degrees - find the right program to advance your career.
Www.nextag.com