[OM] Bob's website design, was Why Weather Seals are Important

Subject: [OM] Bob's website design, was Why Weather Seals are Important
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:23:00 +0000
That was fun, Bob, thanks :-)

But now I think that it's time for me to make a suggestion: I think
that the colour of the background in your gallery page detracts from
the quality of your images.  I like blue, but it is too vibrant to
put next to colourful images and it tends to colour the images.  But
most of all the page lacks a sort of dignity compared to the
importance that each image deserves.

I am no web-design expert, and I recommend that you look at websites
of other good photographers, but a sterner colour such as grey would
do your images justice.  Even a sort of blunted silver would do the
trick, or perhaps near-black; but blue is the wrong colour, as would
be red, yellow or bright green.

Now, you might respond, Bob, with statistics about how many prints
you have sold and attribute the design of your website to your
success.  I might respond in turn with the suggestion that you might
sell more if you showed your images off to better effect.  And if you
did respond like that I would retort with the opinion of my wife (who
has yet to see the site, but who is almost faultless in her design
opinions :-)).

I have made this a post to the List because I think that your
photographs are pretty widely admired and so that others more able in
the design field can shoot my suggestions down.  In addition, there
are plenty of subscribers to the List who are at least as opinionated
as I am and are bound to offer constructive points to help in your
quest (which you didn't know you had, I know) to improve the design
of your website.

Here's hoping that the Vietnam Vets are too busy with the post-
election hangovers to make their way to Old Blighty to hunt me down,
paunchy or not :-)

Chris
[and there's every chance that the colour is exaggerated for me
because I have a new LCD monitor in the shape of a new iMac ... :-)]