[OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 23:22:13 +0000
Wouldn't a simple LED that lights for a sec when the writing is finished (or
a LED that is lit during the write and which goes out after the write) would
suffice?
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery
>Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:36:57 -0800
>
>Winsor Crosby wrote:
> >  From the review of the 30D by Phil Askey:
> >
> > The same old design flaw
> >
> > So I find myself having to repeat the complaint I've had with Canon
> > digital SLR's for the last six years. As soon as you open the CF door
> > the camera powers down and you lose any buffered images which haven't
> > yet been written to the CF card. What's even more amazing is that the
> > ever-so-simple fix has been available on the PowerShot G series since
> > the G3 (and can be found on the latest, the G6). The fix is simply to
> > have a beep alarm which sounds if you open the door and images are
> > still being written, this beep sounds until writing has completed.
> >
>While I appreciate Phil's regular warnings, I  would submit that the G
>series solution isn't necessarily better then the DSLR warning. There
>are situations where one definitely doesn't want one's camera beeping.
>
>I don't know about others. When I hold the camera to open the CF door,
>if it hasn't finished writing to the card, there is a bright red light
>flashing right in my face. The existence and location of this warning
>relative to the door may not be obvious to those who have only read the
>warnings, but not used the cameras. And I can imagine folks who might
>open it by feel, away from their eyes, although I'm not sure why.
>
>Anyway, to me, it is less than perfect, but not an issue that has ever
>caused me trouble. In a perfect world, I suppose one should have a menu
>choice of light, beep or both. Or maybe a mechanical lock until it's
>finished writing? Overkill, I think.
>
>What do E-thingies do? You can open the door without a problem, but if
>you pull out the card, you've got trouble? Is that so much better? You
>still have to be conscious. :-)
>
>Moose

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!