[OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery

Subject: [OM] Re: A not so favorable report on PC Inspector Smart Recovery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:36:57 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:
>  From the review of the 30D by Phil Askey:
>
> The same old design flaw
>
> So I find myself having to repeat the complaint I've had with Canon
> digital SLR's for the last six years. As soon as you open the CF door
> the camera powers down and you lose any buffered images which haven't
> yet been written to the CF card. What's even more amazing is that the
> ever-so-simple fix has been available on the PowerShot G series since
> the G3 (and can be found on the latest, the G6). The fix is simply to
> have a beep alarm which sounds if you open the door and images are
> still being written, this beep sounds until writing has completed.

While I appreciate Phil's regular warnings, I  would submit that the G
series solution isn't necessarily better then the DSLR warning. There
are situations where one definitely doesn't want one's camera beeping.

I don't know about others. When I hold the camera to open the CF door,
if it hasn't finished writing to the card, there is a bright red light
flashing right in my face. The existence and location of this warning
relative to the door may not be obvious to those who have only read the
warnings, but not used the cameras. And I can imagine folks who might
open it by feel, away from their eyes, although I'm not sure why.

Anyway, to me, it is less than perfect, but not an issue that has ever
caused me trouble. In a perfect world, I suppose one should have a menu
choice of light, beep or both. Or maybe a mechanical lock until it's
finished writing? Overkill, I think.

What do E-thingies do? You can open the door without a problem, but if
you pull out the card, you've got trouble? Is that so much better? You
still have to be conscious. :-)

Moose