[OM] Re: : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9 - Now RAW DATA EDIT

Subject: [OM] Re: : Re: My OM gears bring me a lot of fun #9 - Now RAW DATA EDIT
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:22:36 -0800 (PST)
--- Brian Swale wrote:
> In my opinion it is not unreasonable to expect that 3.3 MB
> jpeg files should be usable straight out of the camera, and
> the point I was trying to make is that in contrasty
> situations this is not the case. Digital shooters therefore
> must needs confine their shooting to non-contrasty subjects.

I tend to disagree with this. The E-1 specifically is more than
capable of producing JPEGs that have enough exposure latitude to
satisfy the majority of uses--even in high contrast scenes.

With the E-1, you can adjust the E-1's contrast to flatten it
out and use the flashing highlights to control how much or any
of the scene to blow out.

I don't think many people are aware of this, but the E-1 has a
built-in RAW converter!  Go ahead and shoot RAW and then during
Review you can make adjustments to the camera, like
white-balance, exposure compensation, contrast, sharpness and
saturation and then save it as a JPEG or TIFF.  This function is
called "RAW DATA EDIT" and it presents an awesome opportunity
for those who would like the flexibility of RAW, but need to
handle JPEGs for various reasons.

To use this function, change your camera settings to reflect how
you want the final images to be--including your desired JPEG
mode. Go into play mode, zoom out to show at least four images
and on each desired image press the OK button. This will put a
red border around those images. Now go into the Menu, down-arrow
once to the play menu and select RAW DATA EDIT. There's another
way of going about this too, you might want to spend a few
minutes reading the manual to gain operational insight.

Until I got my new computer about a year ago, I used this
function quite extensively.  It was especially handy when making
a bunch of 640x480 web images of the photo-shoot.

AG

(http://voice.yahoo.com)