[OM] Re: Sandisk Extreme III/IV Comparison

Subject: [OM] Re: Sandisk Extreme III/IV Comparison
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:25:40 -0500
Even better, try using a Sandisk Ultra II as long as it's 2GB or less.
I believe you'll find no more difference between Ultra II and Extreme
III at 2GB than you have found between Extreme III and Extreme IV.

Dpreview's file write test results for the E-500 show the Ultra II as
only about half the speed of an Extreme III.   But be sure to note that
the card they use is 4GB which requires FAT32 support.  I very strongly
suspect that Oly's FAT32 support on the E-500 is very inefficient and
the performance at 4GB is due to the camera and not the Ultra II card.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page10.asp>

For example, check Rob Galbraith's compact flash performance data base
for the Canon 5D and  you'll see that there's hardly a dime's worth of
difference between all 3 cards including the 4GB version of the Extreme
IV.  But, as I would expect, the 2GB version of the Extreme 4 is faster
than the 4GB version.  It's FAT32 software overhead.  The Ultra II is
already at the kind of price you're hoping the Extreme III is going to.
<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

Chuck Norcutt