[OM] Sandisk Extreme III/IV Comparison

Subject: [OM] Sandisk Extreme III/IV Comparison
From: "Rickard Nilsson" <rickard.nilsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:50:16 +0100
Hi,

This is my first post to this great list that I've been reading for a
while.

Thought I should post some numbers from a comparison I did between the
Sandisk Extreme III and IV CF cards on my E-500 this weekend.

This is how I did it:
I set the camera to sequential shooting and held down the release button
until the buffer was full (four captures). I measured the time from
pushing the button until the camera finished writing from the buffer to
the card (that is, until the little red light to the bottom right of the
LCD went black). The camera was set on M mode, 1/200, f3.5, ISO 200. I
used the standard 14-45 lens on 14mm.

First, I shot RAW+SHQ:

   III             IV
10.07            9.72
  9.83           9.57
  9.97           9.63
  9.87           9.68
                 9.79

~9.94           ~9.67

Then just RAW:

   III             IV
  5.67           5.58
  5.42           5.28
  5.67           5.33
  5.57           5.38
  5.37           5.38
  5.57   5.42

~5.52           ~5.35

So it seems that the Extreme III card is more or less as fast as the
E-500, which is good news for me, since I then don't have to worry about
getting the IV card, but instead target in on III which will probably get
cheaper and cheaper.

   / Rickard