[OM] Re: how about the olympus E400

Subject: [OM] Re: how about the olympus E400
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:56:48 -0700
It is a problem. Canon seems to be among the smallest cameras. Nikons
while not as small can be light depending on the model, D50 and D80.
Both have primes from the film cameras still for sale new or used.
The problem with wide angle primes is that they need to be redesigned
to achieve those parallel light rays so that you do not get
vignetting and to reduce the color aberration which becomes more
apparent with digital. Those redesigned lenses if they are fast at
are big, expensive and heavy.

Some people like full frame and use older lens designs and either
ignore the wide angle aberrations or just correct them in post
processing which is easy to do.  I think most end up buying newer
lenses corrected for digital.

My prejudice is that I cannot see buying a quick modern AF camera and
planting an old manual focus lens on it and screwing around with the
aperture to meter with it. As far as I know and I could be wrong,
Nikon is the only one to provide cameras that let you use older
lenses just like they were designed to be used with metering and
automatic aperture.

Now that there is a digital Leica that uses the original small and
very excellent lenses with no real compromise there may be a
resurgence of that maker's cameras for the very real need you
describe. Though it is a lot of money I think that digital
development has reached a point that you are going to see people keep
them a lot longer than they have for the past few years.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA