[OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question

Subject: [OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:04:17 -0600
 Good morning, Mr. Schnozz ;-)
    I'll reply interspersed in this email:

AG Schnozz wrote: Who's Ken? ;) Tonight or tomorrow I'll take a look at all
of my settings and let you know what they are. That might give you a place
tostart over again from. Thank you! But, no rush. Enjoy your "film only"
outing today :-)
The flatness could be caused by having the shadow fill set too high. If you
crank down the highlight contrast (highlight recovery), this will affect the
flatness too. I find that it is best if I crank everything to where I think
Iwant them then back it all off a bit. I'll try that approach...instead of
myincreasingly incremental changes :-)
The colorcast is troubling. Orange is not something I typically run into.
Makes me think that your video driver is setup to some strange setting. Oh,
who the heck knows? Anything is possible. Heck, if it's not something
factoryset, it could be something I've done inadvertently, or could be some
of these curious little fingers that undo most of what I do behind my back.
;-) (currently they're my best excuse for whatever ails us)
aRGB vs sRGB. Pick your poison. I prefer working with aRGB for some
projects,but as a general rule of thumb, sRGB is the best all-around way to
go. I set my cameras up for in-camera sRGB and may use aRGB during
conversion. The only time where aRGB is a major advantage is when
post-processing a portrait where there are saturated colors in the scene.
Thedifference in skintone is similar to using Kodak Portra vs Fujichrome
Provia. aRGB with the E-1 gives a very decent "peaches and cream" look,
wheras sRGB from the E-1 tends towards the pink. Case in point: Last night I
was photographing a daughter getting a haircut. Her skin was perfectly
captured (in-camera JPEG, sRGB), but the hairdresser's skin turned very
reddish. Had this been shot RAW and converted into aRGB, the reddish skin
would have been greatly neutralized without skewing the background colors. I
have this sort of trouble more often than I'd like. I usually adjust in PS
making a layer to adjust hue/levels/curves, etc for the "off" colored face.
Amazing to me how many people have conflicting skin tones with the other
members of their family. My two are a prime example.
With landscapes, I find that aRGB conversions tend to maintain more tonal
detail in the greens. Blues stay neutral, whereas they'll skew green or
purple in sRGB. I did read that in the link that Chuck posted. Very
interesting.
Eventually you will have to convert back to sRGB for display or printed
output and the conversion becomes another issue altogether. "Another issue
altogether"....story of my life :-) It is *always* something!
Thank you for your help, have a great day shooting :-)
Candace
ofspam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
usage info: http://www.zuikoholic.com[2] List nannies:

--- Links ---
   1 http://mail.yahoo.com
   2 http://www.zuikoholic.com