[OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question

Subject: [OM] Re: photoshop upgrade question
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:07:54 -0400
Agreed.  The name confuses millions of people.

It's my understanding that Photoshop was originally designed as a tool
for commercial graphic artists so they could manipulate photographs
and use them in layouts.  When photographers started to embrace
digital in ever increasing numbers, Adobe correctly sensed a major
revenue opportunity and capitalized on it and PS has become the de
facto standard.  As a result, a sub-industry of PS training has
evolved to teach photographers to use the bewildering mess that is PS.
 It has improved over the years, but IMO it's still a tool for
commercial graphic artists.

Of course, there are precedents for this.  Back when I was a corporate
trainer I used to tell my Excel students that they'd likely never use
more than 5% of the capability of the program -- if that much.  I
invited those who questioned that to run through the list of functions
and try to figure out what they meant.

I liken software like PS and Excel to dump trucks.  Complete overkill
for most people but the industry has successfully convinced a
multitude of novices that "you might need those features someday and
if you don't buy our program you won't have it and then you'll feel
like an idiot AND you'll have to spend more money".  To extend the
metaphor, most of us would be quite happy with a bicycle or small
sedan.  Not even gonna bring up moto-sicles on this list.

Aperture and Lightroom *seem* like they're being designed with
photographers' needs in mind so I certainly welcome them to the
market.  I mean, I ain't no graphic artist.

my two lux worth/ScottGee1
(who still uses PS LE because it profiles to my local lab very well)