[OM] Re: My eyes are deceiving me

Subject: [OM] Re: My eyes are deceiving me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:39:57 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> 20D and 1DsM2.  Obviously, resolution is different, but
> pixel-peeping reveals similar noise--just a little less of it.
>
> I'm not seeking the wrath of Moose or Chuck, here.  That 5D
> appears to be a bit more honest. ;)
No wrath here, but some puzzlement. Like you, I'm a RAW shooter. In fact
way more than you. I can find one JPEG I shot with the 5D and there may
be another lying around somewhere. Certainly every shot I've posted from
it has come from a RAW file. And I think it's very low noise.

I can't very well compare RAW to JPEG without shooting some tests. And
it's dark and coolish out. And besides, that's not the point for me. The
question, as I understand it, is whether Canyon images without NR are noisy.

So I did some very simple testing. I did some comparisons of RAW files
processed with ACRS using its default of 25% color noise reduction and
without any NR. I used images shot at isos of 400, 640, 1600 and 3200.
The 640 and 1600 are images I've not processed and posted before, so the
two versions look very much the same. For the other two, I reprocessed
the RAW file, but didn't try to make it match the previously posted
version in color, contrast, etc. This was intentional, to see how images
I've worked over compare in noise after LCE, sharpening, etc., which can
make noise appear worse, to straight out of the RAW processing with no NR.

I didn't feel like putting together a bunch of rollover pages, one of
the files has four versions and I am afraid posting as JPEGs might
affect any subtle differences. So I've put PSD files of full pixel
samples of each image up on my web site. Each level is labeled, and
believe me, you will need the labeling. I can see any noise difference
at the lower two isos, and sometimes I tell myself I can see it at 1600,
but I'm not sure. Certainly it's there at 3200, but look at what you can
do with it. Keep in mind that these are full pixel samples of much
larger, 4368x2912, images
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/5D/RAW_Noise/>.

You will have to judge for ourself how the noise may compare to you
cameras' JPEG and RAW images.

I hope anybody interested can view PSD files. If not, drop me a line and
tell me what file format with multiple levels would suit you.

Moose