[OM] Re: Digital lenses WAS: Re: E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital lenses WAS: Re: E-500
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:33:01 +1000

> Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

WA. I am sure I am in the minority. I look at a lot of these do-all
lenses and think, if they just chopped a bit off the tele end and
gave me the equivalent of a 24! :) I think the majority of consumers
would rather have a bit more reach on a lens than a bit more width.
Pity. With the current quality of output, and the ease of cropping in
digital, it really is pretty easy to get a bit more 'tele' by
cropping a photo. You can't do anything similar on the wide end - add
a little more to the scene. Likewise, teleconvertors do a pretty good
job, but there is not really a quality equivalent for making a lens wider.

I agree completely, 28mm (or equivalent) just doesn't cut it for me.  I'd like
to see Olympus (or maybe even Sigma) make a good rectilinear fixed focal length
WA in the 8mm to 10mm range for the 4/3 format.  I don't mind cropping to get
an equivalent 24mm view.  And when I say "good rectilinear" I mean low
distortion comparable with the Zuiko 18/3.5.

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com