[OM] Re: digital/film comparisons

Subject: [OM] Re: digital/film comparisons
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:21:08 -0400

AG Schnozz wrote:

> Bill Pearce wrote:
>
>>I still prefer an optical print of film to anything else. It
>>has a character all its own...
>

> Never more true than comparing B&W images.  Scanned 35mm film
> looks rot-gut in comparision to the same neg enlarged on
> light-sensitive paper.
>
> Also, I do have a big problem with comparing images ON SCREEN.
> Digital capture will always outperform film in this method
> because of the aliasing that goes on with the pixels of the
> screen. Grain is being spread across the pixels without benefit
> of dot-gain.  Comparing final printed output is really the only
> truely fair comparison.  We get all anal about uprezzing or
> downrezzing images so we can pixel-peep to see which one is
> "sharper" or whatever other nonsense we can think is important.
> But this is like comparing songs to see which one sounds better
> by looking at a waveform.

I don't know why you think digital doesn't suffer from aliasing on
screen.  I see it all the time, often but not always as a moire pattern.

> What illustrates this point beautifully is the old saw that we
> keep repeating about how a certain pixel-count sensor can only
> be used for prints up to a certain size.  However, film (even
> scanned) doesn't have the same restrictions.  I think about MR's
> 30D/Provia comparison.  Does he truely believe that a 30D is
> capable of as good of a 20"x30" printed image as a 35mm provia
> negative?  8x12" and below, he's probably right, but some of
> that "rightness" is perceived improvement due to cleanliness.
> (the old digital-audio is better than analog-audio because it
> has a better SNR).  In reality, it's pretty hard to tell the
> difference between ANY film size or digital format in an 8x10"
> print or smaller.

You won't get that old saw from me.  Unfortunately, I don't have any
equivalent Provia print to compare it with but at least once a week I
pass by a 24x36 portrait of a girl holding her cat.  Shot taken with a
D30 several years ago.  It looks gorgeous.  I'll admit that an optical
print from an enlarger is likely better than scanned and digitized but
you almost can't get that anymore.  Even so, I'm happy to have my color
darkroom on my computer.

Chuck Norcutt