[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: Jim Couch <Zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 12:22:34 -0700
Adding to the perspective a bit -

AG, I think the central difficulty here is that you are in essence
trying to make an emotional decision about a (Jim dons flame retardant
suit here) MERE TOOL. Yep, Olypus, C*non, N*kon, you name it, for a pro
it is a tool. You should evaluate the tool on the level of suitability
for the job and return on investment. It may well be that Olympus does
not fit the criteria. No need to rant & rave, just get the tool that
fits your business and move on. If you have a good profitable year and
want an e-thingy because you like them, then buy one for personal use.

Make no mistake, I understand that it is hard to separate the emotional
from all of this, and if you were an amateur photographer like many here
(myself included) it would not be an issue, and in fact the emotional
issues are an important part of any discretionary purchase, but for
someone who makes his living with a tool, I think the suitability and
ROI are the key factors.

If I were in your position I would be looking at not only my current
needs, but likely future needs and what system will support those needs
long term. Like others have pointed out - if the stock agency minimum is
10mp today what will it be in two years? I am guessing it will be more.
The 10mp camera you buy today WILL have to be replaced in the not to
distant future. In the photo BUSINESS with the advent of digital cameras
I think you need to look at bodies as a relatively short term
investment. You will be replacing them every couple of years to keep
competitive. Your lenses, flashes, ect are your long term investment. I
would buy the SYSTEM that has the lenses ect that you need, and will
likely support those lenses and other equipment for the long term, and
learn to live with the body.  For the photo pro, the world has changed a
lot my friend.

Just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it.

Jim Couch