[OM] Re: The plan emerges

Subject: [OM] Re: The plan emerges
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 01:13:35 +0800
On 02/10/06, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Ok. Just thought I'd offered the help to you as I feel your
> > plight.
>
> Thanks. I trust that you have enough contacts inside to be able
> to ask the "why" question as to some of the oddities.

Yes, AG but I'm not always allowed to disclose all the responses...

> > I longed for an OM-mount version of the IS body. I can do
> > > things with the IS-3 that I cannot with any other camera.
>
> > That's interesting.
>
> For example:
>
> 1. The flash sets the power output based on the distance
> information garnered from the AF system. No pre-flash, and the
> ESP gently balances the ambient light with the fill-flash.  Just
> need to dial in a little bit of exposure compensation.
> Absolutely perfect portrait exposures.

Yes.

2. The zoom/time-exposure feature in night-scene.

> 3. The IS-3 has an IR sensor not only facing forward, but to the
> back so I can use the IR release as a cable-release from behind
> (or even above).

Aha....I know the person who did that and you won't believe the out-of-box
thinking for that one....

4. The G/40 flash does the time-division stroboscopic feature.

> 5. Double-Exposure mode.
>
> 6. Instant-spot meter button that REALLY works.

TRuly!

7. Best ESP mode of any Olympus (IMHO), especially when doing
> fill flash.

You think so...? In your opinion, how does the IS-3000's ESP compare to the
Camedia E-10/E-20 or do you think that this is not a fair question...? I
have a reason for asking this question..... :)

8. Protective, inverted film winding method which safely
> protects all but the very last image from accidental film-door
> opening.

Yes, that was ingenious....Maitani thinking here.

9. Incredibly fast AF. If only my E-1 had an AF which was 1/2 as
> fast.  The red focus-assist light actually works and when
> photographing a wedding processional or recessional, the camera
> locks and fires almost instantly--even in a very dark room or at
> night.

Ok. Fair enough.

In reality, it's the extremely good integration between the G/40
> flash and the IS-3 that makes this camera such a beautiful
> camera.  I think my singing its praises resulted in several
> others on this list to buy them too. The IS-3 effectively
> allowed me to delay purchasing the early generations of digital
> and it also encouraged me to purchase a "bridge camera" in the
> Minolta A1 which has nearly identical capabilities to the IS-3.
>
> The IS-3 remains a favorite professional tool.

Very very interesting.

> I'm sure you won't like this answer -  Olympus was still
> > testing out a few designs at the moment...
>
> Maybe this is where the "closed development environment" which
> surrounds Olympus is at fault. I've been an alpha as well as
> beta-tester for several different types of products through the
> years and was able to provide usable feedback to the company.

This might be true, AG, but Olympus has their reasons even though to many
outsiders, it still doesn't make a lot of sense. I understand this
predicament and sometimes I feel like the meat in the sandwich because I
know how both sides feel.

My suggestion to every camera designer is to try and operate the
> camera while blindfolded. That'll help.

Very very true. The OMs were supreme in this aspect.

> The mockup is missing a few things, AG....
>
> I figured. :)  I told my wife that there might be a possiblity
> of a removable live-view monitor and she instantly came up with
> four or five uses where that would be a killer feature for us.

AG, please restrict discussions on this feature.....thanks...

> > I won't mention the three distinctly different flash
> > > systems completely incompatible with each other...
> >
> > What do you mean by that. Please elaborate.
>
> OM Series, IS-series, E-series.

Oh yes. That is one of the proposals I forwarded earlier vis-a-vis the
interchangeable hotshoe feature albeit improved in design execution compared
to the OMs....

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

K.

AG

> http://mail.yahoo.com

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com