[OM] Re: The plan emerges

Subject: [OM] Re: The plan emerges
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 12:22:33 -0700 (PDT)
Khen wrote:
> Why not petition a collective mail
> response and I'll send it direct to them...

I'm questioning the effectiveness of this tact, given your
comments other comments.  Besides, there isn't anything new that
we can bring to the table. If the designers in-house are true OM
efficionados, then they'll do right by us.

You mentioned that you were part of the IS-1000 (IS-1)
development team. I bought one of the very first ones available.
When it was later stolen, I bought an IS-3. The Unilenses in
these cameras are so outstanding and the viewfinder lightpath
was revolutionary, to say the least.  The dual-function
zoom/power focus buttons are a complete disaster, though. I
longed for an OM-mount version of the IS body. I can do things
with the IS-3 that I cannot with any other camera.

Which brings up a question:  Why is it that Olympus has no
apparant continuity between the controls and functions of the
various camera models?  Just look at the backs of the Olympus
digicams reveals at least five different control layouts. Why is
the E-1 without an instant spot-meter button, which nearly every
other Olympus camera for 15 years has?  I can live with the
other design foibles, but this one is so blatently missing that
I fail to understand the logic. You cannot place one camera into
a silo, since we all have multiple cameras of different
sizes/capabilities and the control layout/menu differences cause
us to not be able to just go from one camera to another.  My
Minolta A1 is closer to my E-1 in layout and controls than the
E-300 is to the E-1. The E-500 is again different and now the
E-400 is of yet another design.  The E-3 BOW (block of wood) has
a different control layout than the E-1, E-300, E-330, E-500 and
E-400.  I won't mention the three distinctly different flash
systems completely incompatible with each other...

Like them or not, almost all Canons share the same control
layout.  Same with Nikon.

I'm waiting it out. PMA it is. I figure that I've been this
patient this long, what's another five months.  Must stay out of
the camera stores between now and then.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com