[OM] Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions

Subject: [OM] Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:50:59 +0300 (EEST)
I have a Vivitar 28/2 which appears to be suspiciously similar to the
matching Kiron lens. Judging by pictures, the appearance is identical,
except for the lettering. Also, my lens has a serial number starting with
"22", which hints at being manufactured by Kino/Kiron - something I found
from the OM-list archives.

Now, I have two problems with this lens which I haven't seen mentioned
elsewhere. I wonder if these issues are related to my particular specimen,
as the Kiron seems to have a good reputation, would be great if anyone who
owns the lens or has used one could shed some light on this.

1.) the performance is terrible at f/2. Yes, one would expect it to be so
to some extent, and I have no scientific data to show, just my impression.
But it looks to be beyond generally usable, and definitely worse than the
other lenses I have, at any aperture. It improves when stopping down, but
that sort of defeats the purpose of using the lens in favour of something
slower.

2.) the mechanical quality is poor - not rigid enough. When attached to a
body, the front part of lens has some slack, so that the projected image
on the focusing screen moves when touching the lens (such as when
focusing). I'm not a lens expert but this does not agree with my
understanding of what "precision optics" means.

TIA,
priit.