[OM] Re: What OM lenses do you use on your E body - what for & how often

Subject: [OM] Re: What OM lenses do you use on your E body - what for & how often?
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:25:27 +1000

> "several enlarging lenses which work well"
>
> Wayne,
>
> Can you elaborate on this (what type of lenses, etc)?
> How do you adapt these?

G'day Ali,

I've recently purchased some good enlarging lenses quite cheaply (there are
some real bargains on that auction site), el-nikkors, Schneider componons,
rodenstock rodagons even a 135mm f4 Leitz Elmar.  Most enlarging lenses have
a 39mm Leica thread to attach to the enlarger flange and most enlarger
lenses also have a filter thread.  I have manufactured an adapter using a
7mm Olympus manual extension tube and a 39mm threaded ring by removing the
female end of the ext tube and epoxying the 39mm ring into the tube.  You
can also buy these types of adapters made by Novoflex and other companies.
This adapter is used when the magnification will be <1, generally this will
be for the longer f/l lenses (eg 105, 135, 150), just bayonet the adapter
onto the lens end of the bellows and screw in the enlarger lens.  For >1
magnification best results are obtained by reverse mounting the lens so I
just fit a commercially available OM reverse mount adapter (49mm) onto the
lens end of the bellows and use the appropriate combination of filter
stepping rings to attach the enlarging lens via the filter thread (these
seem to be 30.5mm or 40.5mm).  As well as being optically better reversed
the rear element of the lens is generally not recessed into the body of the
lens so it can get in closer to the subject without interfering with the
lighting.

I can use either an OM body or my E-300 with OM to 4/3 adapter on the camera
end of the bellows.  With the E-300 I normally don't use the camera meter,
it's never accurate with smaller apertures, just look at the histogram and
adjust shutter speed.

...Wayne