[OM] Re: CF longevity, was: Re: Film vs. Analog - interesting read

Subject: [OM] Re: CF longevity, was: Re: Film vs. Analog - interesting read
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:20:41 -0400
I'll always remember the phone call from the chip engineer who knew not
much of anything about software or systems.  He did know that memory at
that point was largely virtual and knew that data was paged in and out
to disk.  He had called me to find out how long data was typically
resident on-chip before being paged in or out.  He had this notion of
the time always being measured in seconds or minutes which would have
meant a low probablility of a cosmic ray strike.  When I told him that
some code and data were fairly permanently resident and it could be
hours, days or weeks or more he said:  "Uh, oh!"

Chuck Norcutt