[OM] Re: Film vs. Analog - interesting read

Subject: [OM] Re: Film vs. Analog - interesting read
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:07:23 -0400
I'm hoping that we will eventually reach a technology the will offer
very low cost and essentially permanent storage analagous to our flash
cards of today.  We will treat them like film cartridges and even though
they may be rewritable they will be so cheap and offer such long lived
storage that we will simply maintain the original cartridge as our back
up after copying to another form of storage for further processing.

I just did a little calculation and realized that we're just about there
with CF cards if you only shoot JPEGS.  A typical 5D (12.8MP) full res
JPEG image  (according to dpreview's tests) is 3.4MB.  A 2GB CF card
will hold 588 of these or the equivalent of about 16 36 exposure rolls
of film.  The cheapest film these days is rougly $3.00/roll without
processing.  16 rolls at $3.00 each is $48 or $1 *more* than SanDisk's
slowest 2GB card from B&H (with rebate).  And that's without any processing.

So how's that for a bit of number crunching.  If you shoot big, 5D size
JPEG's it's actually cheaper *today* to buy a new 2GB CF card and save
the old one as your image archive than it is to buy film let alone
process the film.

The next few years may be a revolution in how we view arching.  I hope
the future arrives faster.

Chuck Norcutt