[OM] More or less, shooting digital vs film over a photography trip

Subject: [OM] More or less, shooting digital vs film over a photography trip
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
The final tally hasn't been calculated yet as I haven't dumped
the last batch of images into my computer, but I do have an idea
as to the number of images I shot during the workshop week.

Back in the dark ages, I would average 3 rolls of Velvia per day
over a period of 5-15 days.  B&W would average 1 roll per day.
When packing film for a trip, I would pack 5 rolls per day of
Velvia and 2 of B&W.

Granted, shutting down the darkroom is altering my interest in
shooting B&W film, but over the 8 days I was on the island, I
shot a total of 1.5 rolls of B&W film.  Not too impressive to
say the least. The big issue this time was that I was "seeing in
color" instead of B&W.  This happens once in a while and this
week was a classic. It all began when I shot the predawn image
of the lift bridge at Houghton.

When shooting anything with people in it, I am a machine gunner
and am blasting away "because I can".  But when in the wilds
shooting nature stuff, I found myself contemplating the shots
more and getting down to business.  Brackets and alternative
views are numerous, but nothing has really changed there,
because I did that with film too.

End result, is that I averaged about 125 pictures per day.  This
is actually LESS than what I shot with film!  I'd average
150-160 per day with film!

I could have shot a lot more, but there were several limiting
factors:  1. I only had the Minolta A1 for the first three days
with just 1GB of storage, 2. Sunday I was wiped out and just
hunkered down with a book for the day, 3. Friday I was nursing
an injury and a general feeling of chills--the coffee shop got a
ton of money from me that day, 4. A lot of time was spent
researching, interviewing and waiting for bags and people. These
are somewhat "excuses", but in reality, as I look back over my
past adventures, there have always been days where I didn't
shoot a thing and other days that I'd blow through 10-15 rolls.
If I would have been out for every dawn and would have trudged 4
miles down a hazardous trail by flashlight to catch the sunrise
at the point, maybe I would have upped the average.  Maybe.

The point is, that regardless of the technology or capture
method, there is a certain amount of "inerta" to our shooting
styles. Shorter periods of shooting will result in a higher
concentration of photos, but over a week or more, the quantity
seems to stay the same.

One thing I did differently this week was that I shot primarily
"for stock". Instead of trying to capture "The Great American
Landscape" I was going for stuff that was guaranteed to make
money.  Unfortunately, the "art" suffered a bit, but at the same
time a disciplined approach to shooting that which puts food on
the table created a focused viewpoint and allowed me to "cut to
the chase" on some things. As this trip was considered a
"business venture" on my part I had to constantly keep in mind
that I'm out there to "make money" as well as coordinate and
keep everybody safe, dry and fed.  Sometimes, keeping four E-1
toting photographers pointed the same direction was like herding
cats.

"Sometimes"?  Hah!

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com