[OM] Re: OT- your thoughts on the N**** D8

Subject: [OM] Re: OT- your thoughts on the N**** D8
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:39:04 -0700
It's good to hear from you Gord,

I haven't touched a N*kon so I can only offer at best a 1/2 cent of advice.
You've got some very nice telephotos that would work well on either a C*non
or E-System. Imagine your 100/2 Zuiko working like a 200/2 ...

N*kon has what appears to be very nice wireless flash strobes that use RF
rather than the IR that C*non uses. Admittedly it might seem rather special
purpose but being able to put a strobe in a room far out of sight and have
it trigger can be very useful for at least some people. (Cheap IR slave
triggers won't trigger reliably for me). 3rd party wireless triggers are an
alternative but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. You can choose
between several cheap imports that may work fine or between a couple pricey
(pocket wizard, quantum) options.

C*non's availability of top rated wide angle lenses IMO doesn't keep up to
the standards that their bodies offer ... but fast Zuikos work just fine!
N*kon seems to have a more balanced system. When I bought my 5D I was
expecting to get a wide to short tele autofocus zoom for it. So far I
haven't found anything that really appeals to me and I'm just using my OM
lenses on it. My E-1 probably gets the most use of any of my cameras
primarily because the 7-14 D. Zuiko is almost untouchable for home
interiors.

If Khen's comments about the E-3 materialize in the next few weeks, you
should give it some consideration. If it comes in at just under 11 mega
pixels, it will probably be fine for anything you would use an OM for, plus
work better than film at higher ISOs. How much better remains to be seen.

It looks like you are giving plenty of thought to the available lenses. I
think you're looking where you need to. Good luck sorting it out,

-jeff